[Sugar-devel] known issues with collaboration in XS 0.5.2

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 8 05:02:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 17:20, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> With the script attached, some GetProperties queries take a few
>> seconds, others more than 25 seconds (the default dbus timeout). It
>> should be invoked like this: dbus-launch --exit-with-session python
>> gabble_test.py
>
> Hmmm, great that we have a test script -- thanks! I don't have an XS
> at hand at this very moment, but I do believe what you're saying and
> it makes sense -
>
>> There are presently 2573 registered users and the ejabberd version is
>> ejabberd-xs-2.0.3-11.fc9.olpc.i386 , which is the last one I see in
>> http://fedora.laptop.org/xs/testing/olpc/9/i386/
>
> Ok - so you're on the right version of ejabberd. The datastructures
> get very inefficient when the number of nodes is moderately high --
> some messages travel fast, others show huge latency. I thought of
> refactoring the handling of "@all@" inside of ejabberd (if we
> special-case it a bit, we can avoid the mess of copied
> datastructures).
>
> But it's a daunting prospect. And our "neighbourhood" view doesn't
> behave well with 2.5K users either.

Note that those are registered users, there's only a dozen online.

> So my approach has been to split
> up the groups in courses, via Moodle. In my (unverified) experience,
> this makes ejabberd _much_ happier.

I guess in that case you won't accumulate lots of registered users
either, so this behavior shouldn't matter in the field.

Will consider purging registered users weekly or daily from public
jabber servers such as jabber.sugarlabs.org.

Thanks,

Tomeu