[Sugar-devel] [laptop-accessibility] screenreader for sugar

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 8 03:36:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 18:32, Peter Korn <peter.korn at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomeu, gang,
>
> [I'm cc-ing Joanie Diggs, co-maintainer of Orca]
>
> I believe there are 6 key things that need to be done in/for Sugar to enable use of the GNOME accessibility work for folks with vision impairments.  Others more expert in the specific details may correct/amend my comments.  I believe the 6 things are:
>
> The shift of AT-SPI from CORBA to DBUS (in process, not yet completed, but builds of at-spi2 are in the GNOME code repository and if someone would start playing and testing with it on the OLPC, that'd be great!)

I tested the very recent bits of at-spi2 in sugar-jhbuild and they
seemed to work fine in that accerciser was able to navigate through
the controls of the desktop window and of activities (applications).

> Implementation of ATK by the Sugar UI components (this is the accessibility API that screen readers like Orca use)

Accerciser showed that it could not go into the HippoCanvas widget
that is used in some fundamental parts of the Sugar shell and also
inside our browser. The browser is moving from xulrunner to webkitgtk+
which I expect to fare much better there. About HippoCanvas, I have
been experimenting with replacing it with custom GtkContainers and
dropping Hippo completely seemed very doable.

> Creating / adapting a magnifier service on Sugar for Orca.  This may be a fairly trivial port of gnome-mag (non-COMPOSITE edition), or it may be a complete re-write

I have no idea of what this entails, but as we have kept quite close
to GNOME's architecture, I expect the fairly trivial port to suffice.

> Porting Orca to Sugar.  This may be fairly trivial, or it may involve a new Sugar-style GUI, etc.

Tried out Orca in Sugar and it was able to read windows titles,
buttons labels, etc. What GUI would it have other than a configuration
parameter for starting it automatically at startup?

> Adding theme support go Sugar for vision impairments - things like a large-print theme, and inverse theme, etc.

The Uruguayan deployment has customized their builds in this direction
but I believe they need help upstreaming it.

> Ensure 100% keyboard operability of Sugar

Hippo is also the roadblock here.

> Tomeu - are there folks in sugar-devel who have cycles to work on these things?

No idea, I started this thread to find out :)

Thanks a lot for the great insights!

Tomeu