[Sugar-devel] known issues with collaboration in XS 0.5.2

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 7 10:44:45 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:27, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 19:48, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>> I have a local XS 0.6 that is working fine but I'm finding that the XS
>>> 0.5.2 at jabber.sugarlabs.org is not returning some results for some
>>> of the queries that I make.
>>
>> There are very important bugfixes in the "final" ejabberd that is in
>> olpcxs-testing repo for xs-0.6
>>
>> I should release a 0.6.1 with the contents of olpcxs-testing, but
>> things haven't been kind to me lately.
>>
>> You aren't telling us exactly what problems you saw on the old
>> ejabberd.
>
> I'm noticing that the server never replies to some PEP queries about
> buddyinfo and activity properties. The symptom on the Sugar side is
> that the DBus calls timeout.

Actually, it eventually replies, it's just that it takes veeery long sometimes.

With the script attached, some GetProperties queries take a few
seconds, others more than 25 seconds (the default dbus timeout). It
should be invoked like this: dbus-launch --exit-with-session python
gabble_test.py

There are presently 2573 registered users and the ejabberd version is
ejabberd-xs-2.0.3-11.fc9.olpc.i386 , which is the last one I see in
http://fedora.laptop.org/xs/testing/olpc/9/i386/

Martin, does it match your experience that, when there are several
hundreds of registered users, PEP queries could take so much CPU?
During each query, the process 'beam' was taking 100% CPU. Postgres
didn't appeared in top.

Thanks,

Tomeu