[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Home button in Browse

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Sep 7 05:19:48 EDT 2010

On 09/06/2010 09:00 PM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from chm's message of Mon Sep 06 18:51:56 +0200 2010:
>
>>> FWIW you can hold<Alt>   while clicking on the activity to start a new
>>> instance instead of resuming the most recent one.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip.  The resume sessions by default
>> seems to work better for me when the Activity does
>> not have multiple types of sessions so I usually
>> want to continue.  That is definitely not the case
>> with Browse as I usually want the clean start and
>> will select another session if I know I am going
>> back to previous work...
>
> We had some ideas on how to improve this during the last design meeting
> (quite some time ago), but unfortunately nobody got around to doing any
> detailed mock-up yet. Help with this would be very welcome.
>
> Basically we considered doing an intermediate full-screen chooser after
> clicking on an activity icon. It would offer both Start New and a
> gallery of existing entries, similar to the (still not merged) grid
> view in the Journal. Android or iPad (don't remember which) seems to
> be doing something similar.
>
> Sascha

Yes, we were did a lot of work on this one already (including tests that
"resume" vs "start new" can not be solved by just switching modes). I
think the proposal from Gary is the way to go and it is on my list for
0.92.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-July/029187.html