[Sugar-devel] Alt + Tab issue on sugar-emulator

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org
Sun Sep 5 15:31:37 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Dipankar Patro's message of Sun Sep 05 20:34:55 +0200 2010:

> I was unable to reproduce the bug because the 'Alt + Tab' function doesn't
> work in Sugar on Ubuntu (Neither in emulator nor in Sugar-Session).

That's probably due to the same bug I've hit on Debian and Bernie before
me on Fedora 11. He wrote a patch [1] for metacity that fixes it.
ISTR Bernie saying something about some other component (X server?)
being broken and this being just a workaround. Since I don't know any
details and don't quite understand the change, I haven't filed a bug
report at Debian yet. I probably should have reported it and let the
maintainer sort out who actually is to blame. They could at least
ship the patch for the time being. So feel free to open a ticket on
Debian.

> The problem with sugar-emulator:
> Somehow the native X sessions' priority is higher then Xephyr's. So even if
> the function for 'Alt+Tab' is coded into Sugar. The emulator (on Xephyr)
> still won't be able to catch that.

If Xephyr has a global keyboard grab, it will get any keyboard event,
including Alt-Tab (and anything else your window manager might catch
otherwise). You can toggle the global keyboard and mouse grab by
pressing Ctrl+Shift, like it tells you in the Xephyr title bar.
VNC acquires a global keyboard grab iff running in full screen mode.

> Aleksey suggested we have to disable the 'Alt+Tab' combination in
> Sugar-Emulator.

What do you mean?

Sascha

[1] http://sascha.silbe.org/patches/metacity-ungrab-keybindings.patch