[Sugar-devel] SUGAR_PROFILE feature, slimming down sugar-jhbuild

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Sep 3 06:53:04 EDT 2010

Sascha, please keep me on cc if you want me to notice your replies. I
sort all messages from mailing-lists into separate folders that I
quickly check for interesting threads only when I have some free time.

OTOH, I won't cc you because you told me that you find it annoying.

El Fri, 03-09-2010 a las 10:23 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 23:06, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org> wrote:
> > The only reason I still haven't removed GConf-dbus is that I lack
> > patches for the _documentation_, not the code.
> > We explain how to use SUGAR_PROFILE to run multiple instances of Sugar
> > in parallel, but not how to do the same using multiple OS-level user
> > accounts.

I've put my very simple recipe for testing collaboration here:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Collaboration#Testing

Is there a better place? I'm glad to write any amount of documentation
needed if it's a step in the direction of killing support for multiple
user profiles in Sugar and the complexity that goes with it :-)

PS: I spoke to tomeu & marcopg on IRC. Another reason for keeping
GConf-dbus around is letting users test sugar without system-wide
installation of new schemas.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to allow local schemas. Because
GConf-dbus is such a huge PITA, perhaps we could live with this
annoyance of requiring users to do "sudo gconftool..." every time they
need to update schemas?