[Sugar-devel] Autosave and Keep button

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org
Thu Sep 2 11:58:33 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Bert Freudenberg's message of Wed Sep 01 16:28:22 +0200 2010:

> That's one of the reasons I did not want to overload the exit button with saving functionality. It simply exits (after confirming) without ever saving now. To avoid confusion, it does not look like a regular stop button:
Ah, good.

> But you can't really discuss autosaving and keeping separately. They go hand in hand. If an activity cannot autosave, it has to rely on the keep button, right? And keeping should create a new entry - that's how it is in every activity. Only autosave destructively overwrites the current entry.
Ah, so you create a new data store entry on each invocation? Then it's
actually fine to call it Keep (a copy). I thought you'd overwrite the
previous entry like before, just not automatically.

> Incidentally, on other platforms Etoys does versioning itself - every project saved has a version number embedded in the file name that is not visible in the UI. In the file-open dialog, all but the highest numbered versions are hidden.

A (really) bad hack would be to change the timestamp of the previous entry
to something years ago, so it usually wouldn't show up.
But instead we should really work on getting version support into Sugar
mainline.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/