[Sugar-devel] Keep button (was: Re: [RELEASE] Etoys 4.1.2384)

Sascha Silbe sascha-no-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org
Wed Sep 1 08:01:34 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Tue Aug 31 20:07:12 +0200 2010:

> My first gut reaction (not having seen it yet) is that the Keep button is a real problem generally (and causes confusion and misunderstanding in Sugar). Habitually training kids to click that icon each time before exiting will, for all other activities, generate many confusing duplicate Journal entries over time and make matters even worse.

+1

> For the Etoys case, as a workaround for not knowing your clean/dirty state, I think having the regular Stop UI button that when clicked _always_ displayed some sort of "Do you want to Keep the changes to this project in the Journal?" Keep/Don't Keep dialogue.

Having the Stop button ask which version (the one in the Journal or the
one currently loaded) to destroy is a bad idea, but unsolvable without
version support.
Please avoid the Keep terminology in this context; it's only going to
confuse users even more.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/