[Sugar-devel] Re-initiate Packaging Team

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Oct 23 07:32:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 08:02:40AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This a request to relaunch Packaging Team by giving it a bit another
> meaning that it has before.

> The main idea I see for this new/old team is:
>
>     Let people start sugar in any environment they have in most
>     convenient way.

I've initiated http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team
with this statement (which is different by meaning w/ previous one):

    The mission of Platform Team is providing, as unified as possible,
    runtime and development time environments for all sugar doers. In
    contrast with Development and Activity teams, Platform Team mission is
    not about development process itself but about supporting developers by
    providing the same set of possible dependencies and giving a common
    distribution method. Platform Team will work closely with GNU/Linux
    distributions that provide sugar and will try to round all differences
    between them to make sugar doers' life easier.

> The team will cover not only questions how sugar is packaged for
> major GNU/Linux distribution but also:
>
> * having Bazaar as a central place of all (out of distro) efforts
> * building packages that are not(yet/well) packaged
> * support distros that don't have packaged sugar
> * run daily snapshot of sugar in as many as possible environments
> * take care of Sugar Platform dependencies (how many, are they packaged
>   and make custom build otherwise)
> * support meta sugar distribution ie just a bunch of repositories of
>   sugar packages that can be attached to existed system to run sugar
>
> BTW, maybe "Packaging" is not appropriate name, any ideas?
>
> --
> Aleksey

Aleksey