[Sugar-devel] multiple instances of activities

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Oct 19 16:56:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 04:01:02PM +0200, tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de wrote:
> A couple of hours later, after several restarts, the behavior
> reappeared. I can't tell for sure if I single or double clicked. I got
> 5 instances of TamTamJam at once on the XO-1.5. See screenshot here:
> http://www.flatlandfarm.de/blog/?p=39 Again I tried to reproduce it
> but I couldn't.

Well, that means either the patch didn't properly solve the underlying
cause, or the problem you experienced had a different cause to the
original problem.

By the way, you can more rapidly restart Sugar on the XO by using the
key sequence Control/Alt/Erase.  This terminates the X server and
restarts it.  Less time cost than a full restart.  Don't use it more
than a few times per minute though, because if you do the system then
decides something is wrong and won't start X.

> By the way, is this here the right place to post this anyway? Would it be
> preferred if I post bugs in trac directly? If yes: is it better to
> open a new ticket, or to append my findings to probably related
> tickets?

Your test reports on that patch would be useful in ticket #10016.  I've
added a link to this discussion.

> Just to be sure if I applied the patch to the correct files:
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/model/shell.py
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/view/service.py
>
> According to [2], this should be the right place, right?

Sorry, I presumed too much knowledge on your part.  sugar-devel@ is a
developers mailing list.  ;-)  Yes, that looks like the right place.  I
would "yum install patch" first, and then "cd
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/" before trying something like "patch
--dry-run --strip 2 < /tmp/sugar-0.84-1719.patch" to see if the patch
matches the source, and if it reports no problems I'd repeat it without
the --dry-run option.  Then I'd restart Sugar with Control/Alt/Erase and
the new code would be running.

> I'm not too familiar with Python, I know that there are compiled files (.pyc).
> Do I have to replace them manually after applying a patch?
> or do they get replaced automatically?

They are replaced automatically.

--
James Cameron