[Sugar-devel] [Design]: OLPC#2493 [Implement a scale in paint Activity]

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 13:34:25 EDT 2010

On 19 Oct 2010, at 13:07, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at gmail.com> wrote:

> To be honest, i don't know how implement this functionality. Is a tool to change the size of a selection? is a rule? is a zoom tool?
> We have a tool to change the size of a selection (in the Image toolbar) but is not easy to use.
> How I said previously, will be easier implement first mirroring (I have created a ticket http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2463)
> If you want work in scale, please write a propose,  draw a mock-up and probably Gary can help us with the interface issues.

Hmmmm... That OLPC ticket is pretty minimal! It could mean either; 1) improving the ability to scale a selection; or 2) scale the whole image canvas; or 3) add some unit based rulers/grid so that you could draw something to a specific scale; or 4) allowing different sized canvas so you can zoom in and out to work at different scales...

Anyone know what the request was for? :-)

I think 1 works OK at the moment (make a selection and then use the Image tools to adjust width or height or rotate), but it is not a great UI for it. The usual way paint software allows easy scaling of selections is to add handles to the 4 sides and 4 corners of the marquee selection. That way a user can drag the handles to change width or height, or grab a corner and change width and height at the same time.

Regards,
--Gary