[Sugar-devel] Home button in browse - toolbar images

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Oct 18 11:42:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 14:20 +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
> > I'd swap them anyway, Home makes sense to be next to Back/Forward.
> > However, I'm really not satisfied with the amount of space left for
> > the URL bar.
>
> Yes agreed, toolbar complexity is my other worry (too many tool
> icons at the top level).

FWIW, I agree too.

For reference, this is what the toolbar looks like now:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Dextrose_tabbed_browsing.png

> The feature that strikes me as most complex is the new add
> tab feature, I know many adults who do not understand this
> feature. How about we move the add tab button down into the
> View sub-toolbar?
>
>  The other tab navigation tools could also go there in the future.
> Seems to be a reasonable grouping to me along with the existing
> Zoom out, Zoom in, Fullscreen, Show/Hide Tray view features.

Agreed.

Alternatively, the "new tab" button could become a small plus on the tab
bar, which could be made visible at all times. For how long would it
remain invisible during a normal session?

> > or add a
> > small stop/reload button inside the URL bar (but I'm not sure such
> > useful features should be hidden so well).

I wonder if we could also fold the "star" button for bookmarks inside
the omnibox, like Firefox does.

> I'd vote +.9 for this, I'd rather we didn't have to use another
> UI button design vs. nice large (finger sized) toolbar bar buttons,
> but Sugar does already use this design for adding the Clear (x)
> widget in to the right of all Search fields – and we really do
> need to save the space in the Browse toolbar now that some
> deployment folks are calling for the addition of a home button.

Removing one big button from the toolbar and putting a tiny one in the
URL bar *will* result in more space for the URL bar!

Another good way to save space: there seems to be too much empty space
on the sides of the main toolbar. Can it be reduced a little?