[Sugar-devel] Backup and Restore activity icons

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 10 13:38:30 EDT 2010

Hi Sascha,

On 9 Oct 2010, at 23:00, Sascha Silbe wrote:

> Excerpts from Gary C Martin's message of Fri Oct 01 17:46:56 +0200 2010:
>
>> As per your request on irc for some icon alternatives/clean-ups for your Backup and Restore activities, here are a few variations/iterations.
>
> Thanks a lot and sorry for taking so long to respond!

No problem, I was just getting worried all the image attachments may have made it bounce and not get through (a fair few of my emails end up off list and private due to bounces).

> I like #2 (Journal -> USB stick) best. It doesn't feel perfect, but is
> closest to what the activity does.

OK, so USB memory sticks are your primary HW target (I was looking for something more generic).

> What I'm missing is some kind of indication that the entirety of the
> Journal (or at least some part of it) gets transferred, not just a single
> entry (like the original icons in Turtle Blocks are intended to
> symbolise). When I think about this, a treasure chest comes to mind. But
> that doesn't transfer well to an icon (which is rather small, so can't
> hold too many details).

How about using the Journal icon instead of the Keep button? We could have the Journal and USB stick icon side by side, with an arching arrow over the top i.e. a semi-circle with arrow at one or the other end to represent backup or restore. Worth another image or two?

Regards,
--Gary