[Sugar-devel] Backup and Restore activity icons

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Sat Oct 9 18:00:21 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Gary C Martin's message of Fri Oct 01 17:46:56 +0200 2010:

> As per your request on irc for some icon alternatives/clean-ups for your Backup and Restore activities, here are a few variations/iterations.

Thanks a lot and sorry for taking so long to respond!

I like #2 (Journal -> USB stick) best. It doesn't feel perfect, but is
closest to what the activity does.

What I'm missing is some kind of indication that the entirety of the
Journal (or at least some part of it) gets transferred, not just a single
entry (like the original icons in Turtle Blocks are intended to
symbolise). When I think about this, a treasure chest comes to mind. But
that doesn't transfer well to an icon (which is rather small, so can't
hold too many details).

A filing cabinet would be another option, but not really better. For one
thing this analogy already has associations in the computer world (think
files and folders / directories). And like the treasure chest the visual
complexity of the icon would probably be too high.

We should magnify icons on hover in the favourites view. ;)

Sascha