[Sugar-devel] bugs problem

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Sat Oct 9 01:24:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

This is promising. Can you tell me what bug were you looking at? I can
give you a new bug to work on if you want [1]
Though not very special or complex to fix, this would help you get the
hang of coding guidelines and pylint.

Your flow for working on this should be something like...

a. cd <sugar-jhbuild-directory>/install/share/sugar/activities/
b. remove the Pippy.activity directory if exists
c. clone the remote repository -> "git clone
git://git.sugarlabs.org/pippy/mainline.git Pippy.activity"
d. Work on fixing the bug (I guess you'll need to run pylint on the
examples) and go through the pep8 coding guidelines[2]
e. After you have worked on the bug and tested your modifications. cd
to the Pippy.activity directory and type in "git status". It will show
a detailed status of all files modified and in what manner...
f. Type "git add <filename with path>" to stage your files. Any good
git manual such as progit [3] is your friend, if you want to dive
deeper
g. After you have "git add(ed)" all the files, it is time to commit
your changes locally. Type in "git commit". After that, it will open a
code editor, where you can describe your changes. In the first line
will be the header of your commit message, followed by a blank line
and a paragraph for the detailed description (if required). In the
header of the commit message type-in something meaningful such as
"Pippy: Modify examples to follow coding guidelines (sl#2150)". Save
and close the editor for the changes to be committed
h. To check if the changes were actually committed you may type in
"git log" or "git log -p". It will list all the commits to the Pippy
repository till date. Your commit should be the first one in the list.
i. If you have reached this far, you need to make a patch file so that
everyone can commit and test your changes. Type in "git format-patch
-s -1". This will create a ".patch" file
j. Send the ".patch" file to the mailing list and to the maintainer of
Pippy (which happens to be me ;-) ). Type in "git send-email --to
anish at sugarlabs.org --cc sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org <your .patch
file>".

Now, wait for review comments from folks on the m-l, and modify the
code if required. Do 'git add' for the files you modified followed by
'git commit --amend'. This will modify your last commit instead of
creating a new one. Make a patch and send to the ml for further
review. I'd strongly suggest using vim/gvim (or emacs) as your code
editor for working on sugar. You will find the .vimrc files I sent you
pretty useful.

Best of Luck & Happy Hacking!

[1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2150
[2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/