[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Thu Oct 7 11:45:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> So the proposed 1.2.3-peru numbering scheme really is a 1.2.3 scheme with
> an optional trailing taint hint?

Yes, the last part is optional.
In my first mail I put examples of valid numbers:
Valid numbers:
23
23.2
23.2.5
23.2.5-peru
23.2.5-uru

Then for the activity developers, probably they will continue with integer
numbers, but other players have other possibilities:
* OLPC or Dextrose can create version activities where are maintaining old
releases: example Browse 108.1
* Daniel Castelo and the people from LATU in Uruguay can create a
customization to a activity: example Speak 18.1-uru
* People from other deployments can test and use the activity modified in
Uruguay.

The packagers will need to package only the common activities. The dotted
scheme is supported for dpkg, rpm, etc.

It probably makes better sense to clearly distinguish those two essentially
> separate issues:
>
>  * mainline numbering
>    + integer
>    + triple integers
>    + Debian-style triple string scheme
>    + other?
>  * how to officially handle "slight forks"
>    + extending triple integers with fourth integer/string
>    + non-version suffix to version
>    + separate field
>    + no official support
>    + other?

It's clear in the previous examples?

> The easiest for Debian would be if you version your code using triple
> integers, as that properly supports multiple branches (which you _are_
> doing, whether you admit it or not!).
>
> debian care not about deployment forks, but I sure recommend that you do
> support it properly - which means make room for it in the versioning string
> and admit that forks are versioned too - not only a non-versioned flag.

I don't think we need to support versioning in the forks (uru or peru
cases). They can use the first part, adding numbers to manage their
versions.

Gonzalo