[Sugar-devel] coping with the traffic in sugar-devel

Gary C Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:54:12 EDT 2010

On 5 Oct 2010, at 17:05, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> That's really hard... Procmail, my email sorting software, is stateless.

>>> That's better, but it adds delay: I open my mailing list folders to
>>> check for new mail only once in a while, when I'm done with everything
>>> else.

>> Just mucking around with a quick hack, how about this? It's a SOM for the month of Sept of every email from iaep, dextrose, and sugar-devel that mentioned "bernie" (including emails from bernie). That's about ~1171 emails filtered down to ~171 that mentioned "bernie" and mapped. I dialled up the number of top features from the usual 200 terms to 400 for a little more textual depth:
>>
>>        http://people.sugarlabs.org/garycmartin/2010-Sept-dev-dex-iaep-som-bernie.png
>>
>> And just for comparison and so I'm not picking on Bernie, here's the same thing for "gary":
>>
>>        http://people.sugarlabs.org/garycmartin/2010-Sept-dev-dex-iaep-som-gary.png
>>
>> I could do this for any keyword (the more unique the better), so it would be easy to perhaps map "etoys" or some other term a summary map might be of interest, also easy to include more mail-lists into the data set.

Here's one for the Etoys keyword:

	http://people.sugarlabs.org/garycmartin/2010-Sept-dev-dex-iaep-som-etoys.png

>>> Cc'ing people conservatively is standard practice on many high-traffic
>>> lists. Today the old arguments of wasted bandwidth are just ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Occasionally someone complains for receiving dupes, but all modern MUAs
>>> provide ways to suppress them. Sascha elegantly solved the issue by
>>> setting the "Mail-followup-to" header to exclude himself from replies
>>> (if the remote MUA supports it).
>>>
>>> --
>>>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
>>> \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

> fun!! when will be be able to click on the words and go to the email
> message in the archive :)

I'm procrastinating on the implementation :) but now that the wiki supports image maps, that is likely the easy, if not most graceful/elegant, route**. Clicking on a word would link to the N emails where the term was used.

** really this should be a nice dynamic/interactive map web app, where the text labels are added dynamically over the contour map images, with panning/zooming/search/filter type features... And the ability for admins to add in new data resources to be mapped :)

Regards,
--Gary