[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Oct 4 11:40:48 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 11:27:36AM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>The new version number will consist of N integer numbers separated by
>dots and a suffix for a local indicator. Activity developers can still
>use an integer number only, if desired.
>Valid numbers are:
>23
>23.2
>23.2.5
>23.2.5-peru
>23.2.5-uru
>
>The internal representation will be a string instead of an int and we
>will add means to validate and compare the versions.
>
>What do others think about this approach? Packagers?
>We must limit the number of integer digits allowed?

Short version:  Gogogo!

Slightly longer: Make sure to strictly define the semantics of
non-integer parts.

It might seem obvious at first - "peru" being "slight fork of
micro-version 5". But perhaps sometimes a local branch wants to release
a sneak preview, e.g. "almost micro-version 6".  Should that then be
labeled 23.2.6-peru or (since 5-peru is taken already) 23.2.6.peru2?

In Debian we allow both letters and digits in all parts, and use special
sign "~" to indicate "almost" and "+" to indicate "just above". And we
treat 0 (zero) equal to a missing trailing part. And more nitpicking...

I do not, however, recommend you to adopt such complex scheme.  I
suggest instead (as might actually be what imply by the above summary)
that the 3 first parts are strictly digits and intended only for
mainline releases, while an optional 4th part is strictly for
non-mainline use and allows [a-z0-9] (but nothing else - no dash,
underscore, capital or non-ASCII letters, +~ or whatever). Then use
simple C locale sort order, and leave it to local branches if they want
to use only letters or also leading and/or trailing digits.

Enjoy,

  - Jonas