[Sugar-devel] Replacing Illegal character ':' in username (SL #2152)

Dipankar Patro dipankar at seeta.in
Mon Oct 4 10:35:41 EDT 2010

Bernie,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> If you want to ensure that I read a message intended for me, you'd
> better keep me on cc. I don't read every single post sent to
> sugar-devel.
>
> * Sorry. Will follow it from now on.

> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 00:12 +0530, Dipankar Patro wrote:
> > I am currently facing some problem with XS setup. I downloaded the
> > image and installed it on VMware. But that did not work.
>
> What failed exactly?

I am unable to find a way to connect to my network while running XS.  I
actually installed XS software on VMware under Windows 7, and its showing me
CUI. Got totally confused and finally left it. :(
Bernie, is there no online school-server available where I can connect to
and check?

> > Bernie,
> > Since the school server setup may take up a day or two, I can
> > definitely work on the bug #1976 in the meantime. I will send the
> > patch as soon as it is ready and tested.
>
> Thanks. Please make sure that, in the default case when nothing is
> configured, the behavior on the XO-1 stays the same as before.

Findings on Bug #1976:
- Initially I was not able to track whether the jabber_server we are setting
is actually being set or not. (I am using sugar-emulator in Ubuntu). Thanks
to Aleskey who figured out how Sugar is storing info (jabber_server) in a
second instance of gconf!
- Now, Bernie, I am confused with the bug :(. What are we really trying to
remove?
It would be great if you could explain the statement:
"
to keep the old behavior, this patch would also need to set the
default value of /desktop/sugar/collaboration/jabber_server to
"schoolserver"
"
^^ Does this mean that I need to set the jabber_server property to
"schoolserver" at the time of first boot?