[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Mon Oct 4 10:27:36 EDT 2010

The current activity version scheme does only allow the use of integer
numbers.
This has the issue that doing a bug fix release for an older activity
version gets rather complicated. People have been planning for that in
advance and reserved numbers for such a purpose in order to overcome that
short coming.
Furthermore, the current scheme does not allow local deployments to release
local versions of an activity.
Based on the work that has been started in the "Dotted Activity Versions"
feature [1] I want to propose a new scheme that fixes the issues described
above.
The new version number will consist of N integer numbers separated by dots
and a suffix for a local indicator. Activity developers can still use an
integer number only, if desired.
Valid numbers are:
23
23.2
23.2.5
23.2.5-peru
23.2.5-uru

The internal representation will be a string instead of an int and we will
add means to validate and compare the versions.

What do others think about this approach? Packagers?
We must limit the number of integer digits allowed?
Regards

Gonzalo

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Dotted_Activity_Versions