[Sugar-devel] Advice request: XO sound recording

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:43:46 EDT 2010

On 09/30/2010 06:33 PM, Art Hunkins wrote:
> The files also need to be renamed and placed in the FileMix.activity folder.

Don't do this.  Among other reasons, you shouldn't assume that the
activity has write permissions to its .activity/ folder.  There are a
hundred other reasons why this is considered bad form.

> The Record activity is a natural for recording audio, and I had thought it
> would be the appropriate vehicle. I've recently discovered that it only
> produces Ogg Speex files, not the higher-quality Ogg Vorbis variety.
> Unfortunately, Csound and libsndfile handle only Ogg Vorbis - not Speex. (It
> would be very nice if Record *could* output Ogg Vorbis.)

Making Record output Vorbis is a trivial one-line change.  Presumably you
would be best served by copying that portion of the Record code into
FileMix, with the alteration to record in Vorbis.

> So, my question: can someone please explain how to get eToys sound files
> isolated and copied to other folders, and/or which other activities might
> meet my needs at least as well as (or better than) eToys and Record?

Surely the activity that will suit your needs best is your own.  I
recommend you add the sound recording functionality there.

--Ben