[Sugar-devel] SOAS questions

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Tue Nov 23 02:00:35 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: sugar-devel-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org
[mailto:sugar-devel-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org] On Behalf Of Peter Robinson
Sent: Monday, 22 November 2010 8:32 p.m.
To: David Leeming
Cc: Sugar devel
Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] SOAS questions

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have questions about the latest release of SOAS. Are these observations
> unusual or do others see these issues?
>

> (a)    eToys does not start up properly. On start up a garbled view of the
> animated car is displayed, and then it won’t shut down. I also experienced
> this with Mirabelle

> I've not seen this problem but then prior to release we didn't see too
> many people actually test anything and report bugs so we could fix it
> before release.

OK, I am trying to establish if it is just me. But can't see how. I have
downloaded the SOAS4 iso and installed and everything else is working. I
have booted (the SOAS) on several PC laptops and it's the same.  I am
wondering why others don't also see this happening.

> (b)   A popup appears about a password for a keyring just after Sugar has
> started up

> Known problem. See numerous discussions about this on the SoaS mailing
> list (probably the best location to ask SoaS questions btw).

> In regard to (a) I tried to erase the activity and load an early version,
> but there erase function seems to have been moved (which I think is a good
> idea). Can anyone refer me please?

> How did you try to 'erase' it? All SoaS activities are rpm based so
> you need to use yum/rpm based commands to add/remove etc.

I looked for the erase option when right clicking on it, as one would do
with activities on the XO-1 in previous times. So now we just use Terminal?
OK by me. Will this allow me to erase eToys completely and then reinstall an
earlier version, to investigate my first problem as above?

Peter