[Sugar-devel] Engineering Team

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Nov 20 09:38:55 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 02:29:13PM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On 20 November 2010 02:53, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > = The problem =
> >

> > Current situation with stuck patches queue is dangerous. Deployments
> > have to support their own big branches (branches, by themselves, is not
> > bad but big ones), at last I know about Dextrose. Such splitting is
> > really bad, e.g., people who test Sugar need to keep in mind that there
> > are upstream, OLPC, Dextrose, etc. Sugars.
>
> OLPC has never shipped a downstream-patched Sugar in an official
> release in the last few years, and I can only think of a handful of
> examples where early development versions included downstream patches.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, SoaS, Debian, Ubuntu and SuSE do not ship
> downstream patches in their sugar distributions either. (unverified,
> but I've never heard of them doing this)
>
> Do you have any examples, other than Dextrose, of this problem existing?

(I was talking about not packages in GNU/Linux distros but about Sugar
developments).

If OLPC doesn't shipp downstream patches thats relly good but I guess it
is because last stable OLPC sugar is 0.84 and that OLPC people are maints
of 0.84 branches.

Dextrose has patches that are collected based on responce from the field.
This is a real problem to commit them to the trunk.

--
Aleksey