[Sugar-devel] ObjectChooser() Issue?

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Fri Nov 19 23:13:30 EST 2010

Walter,

Thanks for the note; you are quite right that ObjectChooser() indeed works
in Sugar 0.82 and the XO-1. Indeed, surprisingly, it is also fast enough for
my purposes.

I will not use it in 0.82 for two reasons, however: 1) it lists objects on
USB sticks as well as the Journal (confusing, and different from later
Sugars); 2) it does not allow specification of
what_filter=mime.GENERIC_TYPE_AUDIO (this feature appeared with 0.83; and is
highly useful in targeting the audio objects).

There's another reason as well: the version of Csound that comes with 0.82
is linked to a libsndfile that cannot be updated to handle ogg vorbis
soundfiles; Csound (5.10) from 0.84 on is linked to (or can be updated) to a
version of libsndfile that does.

The Record activity - the activity most likely to be used by children to
create their soundtracks - records ogg vorbis files only, depositing them
directly in the Journal. (Unfortunately, versions of Record prior to about
66-67, use the ogg speex format, which even the more recent libsndfile
doesn't handle.)

So, quite a few reasons not to try to handle Journal audio objects in 0.82.
FileMix is way too complex already; further complication will likely drive
everyone away completely.

I think I may have answered my previous question: "Feature unavailable in
Sugar 0.82."

Art Hunkins