[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 02:07:29 EDT 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 06:02:28PM -0300, Martin Abente wrote:
> > Hello amigos,
> >
> > Recently I encountered many situations where a system-wide
> > notification-messages system is required as a basis for many bug fixes or
> > enhancements.
> [...]
> > Currently, Sugar does not have a mechanism to communicate to users
> > different kind of information about sugar itself.
>
> What about the notification system?  The Log activity?  The Journal
> Full warning?  The Frame?  There are a lot of communication
> mechanisms, but they dn't seem to do what you wnat:

* The notification system only shows an icon floating, and if you want to
show a message you have to implement a palette manually, not so DRY
considering all the use cases.
* Why the user should start an activity to know what is happening? Even if
they do, do you think all that pile of text is really helpful? (for a
developer, sure.. for a 7 years kid probably not, and if you want him to
understand you would have to translate the log messages anyway).
* The journal full warning is actually a problem to be solved, #630.
* What about the frame?, currently it does nothing about this issue. (except
for the floating pulsing icon)

> 1. Simple text messages display.
>
> Where do you think this would best be shown?  Text is limited in the
> UI to avoid literacy and translation burdens.
>
> > 2. Messages manager, this would help the user to see what messages have
> been
> > delivered in the current session, so they could react to those events
> (for
> > example, reporting bugs).
>
> Peraps Log could be changed to show this?  Or the Frame (doesn't it
> already show the last few notifications?)?

Again, why should we force users to start an activity to know what is
happening.

We need sugar to tell the users what is happening otherwise they will never
guess it, that is exactly problem in the first place. I can't imagine a kid
having to check the log activity every 10 minutes to see if the automatic
backup has started recently.

Anyway, if someone does not like the messages and wants just wants to read
the log every N minutes they could be disable it :):):)