[Sugar-devel] Testing the production & use of ebooks- Try get IA Books rather then read e-books?

Thomas Gilliard satellit at attglobal.net
Sun May 30 15:16:33 EDT 2010

samy boutayeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OLPC France's folks are trying to produce real-world ebooks with the
> partnership of a malagasian publisher, in order to give them to our
> deployments in Madagascar.
>
> So, we are testing the production & the use of those documents, based on
> James Simmons book "The Readers are the
> Leaders" ( http://en.flossmanuals.net/ReadingandSugar/Introduction ),
> and using as source file 2 jpeg files with mixed text & color images
>
> Our observations are:
>
> 1/ jpeg > pdf (1 page):
> production: open jpeg with gimp + print it to pdf
> reading: with Read: ok
> 2/ jpeg > pdf (multipage pdf):
> production: convert *.jpg test_ebook.pdf
> reading: with Read: ok (without rotation)
> 3/ pdf > djvu (2 pages)
> production: pdf2djvu -o test2.djvu test_ebook.pdf
> reading: on a xo with Read: ok
> 4/ jpeg > djvu (1 page)
> production: c44 "livre1 page3.jpg" (one page by page)
> reading: DjView3 on a linux pc: ok
> reading: on a xo with Read: ok (without rotation)
> 5/ jpeg > djvu (2 pages in batch)
> using the script mkdjvus.py from (
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/ReadingandSugar/MakingDjVus )
> résult: ugly: 1 b/w page, with the 2 source page overimposed, and resulting in a unreadable page
>
> 3 additional observations:
> - The reading from Read in Mirabelle (Soas3) doesnt work (the error message says "Failed to start").
> - The rotation doesnt work on the XO 1.5

I just used Get IA Books 5.0 to do download of color/b&W/DejaVue books
and read them with read 86 on XO-1 G1G1 os240py (0.88.0 sugar)
I just replied to your post about it versus Mirabelle Read 86
performance. (Also I noticed: Some books are not available in all three
formats)
(Read 86 still fails to start in Mirabelle after these downloads with
the lack of evince being present.)

Cordially;

Tom Gilliard
satellit