[Sugar-devel] review process changes

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 27 02:44:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 01:48:17PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> == Changes I would like to see ==
>
> * Having _all_ reviews in the mailing list. The process already allows
> patches to be sent and discussed in the mailing list, but restricts it
> to "new feature[s] and reasonably big".

It also says under 2000 lines does not need breaking into separate
commits.  ;-)  I think it is not good to set such limits, instead rely
on feedback during review.

> * Reduce the time spent creating and changing tickets in Trac

A command line interface would be nice.  I'm on a high latency
connection, working from outback Australia.

> == Issues I need help with ==
>
> * How can a maintainer keep track of his queue with something like
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/wiki/TomeuReviewQueue if patches are sent to
> the list?

Bernie has suggested Patchwork.  I've investigated it some more ...

Initial configuration:

You should do this; visit http://patchwork.sugarlabs.org/ ... register
... wait for e-mail ...  login ... tell Bernie or myself your username,
we shall add you as a "maintainer" of "sugar" using the admin interface
... until then your username is not available in the list of delegate
targets.

Ongoing usage ... triage:

You should do this; http://patchwork.sugarlabs.org/project/sugar/list/
... for patches that are New, click on them, delegate to a maintainer,
can be done by you or by other users of patchwork.

Ongoing usage ... maintainer todo list:

You should do this; http://patchwork.sugarlabs.org/user/todo/ ...
displays the patches that the maintainer has in their TODO list.

Things to note:

- "maintainer" in Patchwork means you have the right to approve patches
  for a "project".

- temporarily Patchwork instance has all user profiles marked as
  "maintainer", but this should change later.

- other successful projects using Patchwork typically have a one to one
  mapping between mailing list and git repository.  We don't have that.

> * How can we make sure that patches don't fall through the cracks?

That remains a problem with any process, and was a problem with the
existing process, and the Patchwork tool should provide a partial
control.

Patchwork will help maintainers track the state of a patch external to
mail applications.

> * How can I know if the patch I'm staring at is the latest version?

Check for later mail by same author (if they did not post mail, that's
their fault), check for a repository or branch offer.

> * How can we make easy to go from git blame to the review thread, the
> bug report and the feature page?

Search your mail for the patch hash and display the results as a thread?
I use mairix for this, with mutt as the display engine.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/