[Sugar-devel] #1686 UNSP: Accessibility - virtual keyboard

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed May 26 12:05:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:57:55AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> Additionally, having a mixed-language codebase may be
> off-putting to some potential contributors.

It's also going to decrease consistency[1] and increase the bar to
contribution to (ad absurdum) working knowledge of each language of
each patch contributor.

> [D]oes it not seem likely that by welcoming patches written in the
> first and most common language of our largest groups of users, we
> would receive more patches[?]

It doesn't seem likely since an understanding of existing English code
would seem a prerequisite for any patches to exist in the first
place.

> (Finally, if we don't receive many patches, then what will be the loss for
> having tried? At most, we will have a small number of patches to translate from
> Spanish to English. Not a big deal, right?)

Oh wait, are you supporting *reviewing* patches in any language but
*committing* only translated patches?  That seems much less
consistency-hostile.

> Regards,
>
> Michael

Martin

1. I don't think the second section of PEP-8 diminishes this objection