[Sugar-devel] OLPC mesh support in Sugar-0.84

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon May 24 13:38:53 EDT 2010

On 05/20/2010 08:32 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 04:18 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> A few months ago I finished off getting the OLPC mesh working again in
>> Networkmanager and Tomeu finished off the work on the Sugar side. It's
>> present in master and presumably 0.88.
>>
>> However, it hasn't been backported to 0.84 (I thought it had, but was
>> mistaken). Anyone looking for a very valuable (and quite
>> straightforward) project of large value to XO1 users and deployments?
>>
>> Daniel
>
> As I have been working on the default adhoc networks feature lately I
> will go for it. I will have to see how they can coexist, but is of
> interest anyhow as mesh did land in 0.88 and default adhoc networks
> should land in master, too.
>
> Regards,
>      Simon

I have been thinking about how the "olpc mesh network" and the "default
adhoc network" can coexist.

 From a user point of view, I think the features can be exclusive. If
the mesh hardware is available we use the mesh code and draw the three
mesh icons in the neighborhood view. If the hardware is not available we
fallback to the "ad hoc network" code and make that available through
the three icons in the neighborhood view.

What do others think about that?

Regards,
    Simon