[Sugar-devel] OLPC mesh support in Sugar-0.84

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed May 19 21:40:25 EDT 2010

El Wed, 19-05-2010 a las 21:09 -0300, Daniel Drake escribió:
> On 19 May 2010 20:45, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Why not shift the XO-1 users and deployments onto 0.88?
>
> You're talking about a huge amount of work here, with only a small
> amount of community resources working directly on XO1. And we've
> already seen a handful of issues on the list which will generate
> difficulties once 0.88 starts running on XOs.

I'll probably change your mind this week-end when I'll show you how the
0.88 build is coming along :-)

> Backporting mesh support will be quite easy. I speak from experience
> because I already did it on the near-final patches.

I agree. There are also several very other useful features which would
be easy to backport to 0.84, one at a time:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Notes
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Notes

If you have a feeling of deja-vu while going through these release
notes, it's because we've *already* backported half of the 0.86/0.88 new
features.

Except for the new activity toolbars, the core code of Sugar did not
change much between 0.84 and 0.88, which is why backporting patches is
so easy and upgrading altogether ended up being quite painless in
practice.

> Even if an 0.88 upgrade happens, backporting deployment-important new
> developments will still be required (especially if they solve feature
> regressions) because 0.88 is no longer the tip of development.

True, but it's much closer to it. I think staying close to upstream is
an important step in lowering the barrier for collaboration between
deployments and Sugar Labs.

(besides this particular one, there are probably other significant
barriers to collaboration; we'll try to discuss and address all of them)