[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Deja-Dup (duplicity) as a way to backup-restore Soas Mirabelle Home directory

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon May 17 22:07:56 EDT 2010

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El Mon, 17-05-2010 a las 15:20 -0700, Thomas C Gilliard escribió:
>

>> I am still thinking of the "sneakernet" use case where there is no
>> networking to use for backup.
>>
>> It does NOT backup or restore the journal.
>>
>> (It will restore to a new unchanged script created USB. (I am still
>> testing). This would be useful if the overlay got corrupted or full..
>>

> Why backup the entire OS when the user can only write to $HOME?

You are right. I was experimenting...

 I will change the  instructions to reflect only Home backups,
* I have seen  "/ full " error messages on restore....
> (Besides, the overlay should never get corrupted because it shouldn't
> even exist, but that's another story :-)
>

>> The deja-dup functionality is neat:
>>

> Yeah, I know it's good: I made everyone in the office use it for their
> computers. Besides, we use Duplicity to back up all Sugar Labs' servers.
>
> We could use Duplicity to backup to USB sticks and even Amazon S3, but I
> still think that the UI should be integrated with the control panel or
> perhaps with the Journal (through menu items "Back up" and "Restore"
> directly on the device icon).

I agree.

Unfortunately  that is not something I am able  to do....
Until you, or someone else, can incorporate that function into the CP
A Sugarized deja-dup backup will have to do.

Cordially;

Tom Gilliard