[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Default ad-hoc networks

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu May 6 23:08:39 EDT 2010

On 05/06/10 18:01, Paul Fox wrote:
> heh.  i was really kind of rooting for "impromptu", myself.  it
> sounds like a lot more fun than "ad hoc".  "Come on over!  We're
> having an ad hoc party!", just doesn't have the same ring to it.  :-)
>
> ahem.
>
> i think ad hoc is really two words, and shouldn't be hyphenated.
> i'm sure one of our fluent latin speakers can help here.

Ah, Grammar!  Summary: Today, "ad hoc" is definitely correct and
"ad-hoc" depends on how much of a stickler is the grammarian you ask.

The Latin phrase is indeed two words.  Also, Latin grew up at a time
when hyphens didn't exist either.  Also, we're using "ad hoc" as an
*English* adjective; both with and without hyphen are used; either way
is, by the rules of English grammar, two words.  For most adjectives in
this situation we would use a hyphen: consider the ambiguity of
"hot pink bunnies"
do we mean "hot-pink bunnies, the brightly colored creatures that
decorated the pages of Muse magazine instead of cats-vs.-dogs."
("hot-pink" applies to "bunnies")
or
"hot, pink bunnies ran limply from the sweltering heat of the fire."
("hot" applies to bunnies, "pink" applies to bunnies, but "hot" does not
apply to "pink" or vice versa)

The only reason "ad hoc" can get away with not having a hyphen is
because it's a well-known phrase that cannot be split up. (You can't
have an "ad network" or a "hoc network" -- except if "ad" is short for
"advertising" which is an entirely different word!)  In fact, the
without-hyphen version is rather more standard.  I personally think it
doesn't really matter.  A book publisher would make us use "ad hoc", but
we're not in that business of producing books, marketed to people who
read lots of prose, that will of necessity sit on shelves unmodified for
decades.  Probably a few decades ago "ad-hoc" was less popular, and a
century from now who knows where we'll be, but that's where we are now.

however, I also rather prefer "impromptu" or "informal"!  One site
suggested "spontaneous" also.  Unless we're trying to be consistent with
established English usage, in which case we might want to choose "ad hoc
networks" (assuming these networks really are the same concept as the
well-known term "ad hoc networks", and not something that's much more
specific/idiosyncratic -- judging by [1] etc, I think it's pretty close
to that concept)

[1] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-December/026831.html

-Isaac