[Sugar-devel] Support for EPUB with Read in sugar-jhbuild?

Daniel Castelo dcastelo at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Tue May 4 10:02:06 EDT 2010

I have tested your activity FBReader and i found some problems:

    * If "rainbow" is enabled the activity doesn't work.
    * If I open a book, i have to remove the content of "activity/instance/"
folder for open it again.

I know that this activity has sense on sugar 0.82. In sugar 0.84 I am able
to use the activity Read. However, in sugar 0.84 I have some problems with
"Read". When I want to change the page the activity get stuck. Maybe this
depend on the epub format version that I am testing.

Do you know if the activity FBReader for sugar 0.82 and the activity Read
for 0.84 have some problem?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 22:21 -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> >> 1). How do I get Read as delivered by sugar-jhbuld to work with EPUBs?
> >>
> >> 2). Does Read support EPUBs on SoaS right now?  If not, what are our
> >> future plans regarding EPUB support?
> >
> > The only Linux reader that supports EPUB seems to be KDE's Okular,
> > through libepub (ebook-tools). Moreover, Okular does not seem to
> > dynamically reflow the text, which was the only useful feature EPUB had
> > over PDF.
> >
> > Anyway, if we *do* support it, does it have to be in Read? Can't we have
> > one activity per file format instead? It may be simpler from a
> > maintenance and UI design PoV. Besides, EPUB resembles more HTML than
> > PDF.
> >

> Read supports EPUB if the right dependencies are installed. However,
> for OLPC 8.2.x builds, one has to use FBReader Activity
> (http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/FBReader-4.xo<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Esayamindu/FBReader-4.xo>is the latest
> version). It's an ugly hack, but it works.
> Thanks,
> Sayamindu
>

> --
> Sayamindu Dasgupta