[Sugar-devel] Code Guidelines & L10N

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue May 4 03:56:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 04:40, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Am seeking clarification on coding style, notably the use of trailing white
> space & punctuation.
> import gettext as _
> _("Enter your name: ") => Generally used
> _("Enter your name")+": " => Best for translators, slower to run,
> readability decreases
> _("Enter your name%s") % (": ",) => Avoids concat, readability low
> Trailing white space & punctuation marks can be irritating to deal with. As
> a translator, it's hard to know the significance of the white space without
> context if you notice it. When the translator interprets things incorrectly,
> the reader then experiences the irritation.
> I've looked through the Code Guidelines[1], but can't see any reference
> the appropriate way to use gettext

I'm a bit surprised that all locales will want the same punctuation
mark and in the same position, but then, I know nothing about the
scripts in which it could be different.

I would say that the localization team can come with whatever
recommendation is better for them and add it to that wiki page. I
don't think the performance difference between + and % is significant
enough in the contexts where strings will be formatted for display.

Regards,

Tomeu