[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Default ad-hoc networks

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon May 3 15:44:54 EDT 2010

On 05/03/2010 09:18 PM, Frederick Grose wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Paul Fox<pgf at laptop.org>  wrote:
>
>> frederick wrote:
>>   >  On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de
>>> wrote:
>>   >
>>   >  >  On 04/27/2010 08:54 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>   >  >
>>   >  >>  ...
>>   >  >
>>   >
>>   >  What is missing is a badge to indicate if the network is active (someone
>> has
>>   >  >  created the adhoc network already). Any good ideas how that badge
>> could look
>>   >  >  like?
>>   >  >
>>   >
>>   >  Shouldn't ad-hoc network icons be gray if empty/inactive and colored by
>> the
>>   >  creator's Sugar Learner colors once created?
>>   >
>>   >  If the creator's beacon stops, then subsequent beaconer's colors might
>> be
>>   >  adopted (if you want to extract that information)[1].  Although, the
>> color
>>   >  change may be the source of some confusion.
>>
>> why would anyone care who "created" an ad-hoc network?  by their
>> nature (from a user's perspective) they're anonymous, especially in
>> this case, where their names (as i understand it) are pre-configured.
>

> Perhaps I'm confused by the situation?
>
> With XO-1 mesh networks, the Neighborhood view would show 3 mesh network
> icons, all in the Sugar learner's color, plus any access points in various
> colors.  One would have to hover over a network to see its channel or name.
>   The 3 mesh networks could not be distinguished by passive observation.
>   Once a populated network is joined, Sugar learners could see any
> Neighborhood Activities and associated learners and proceed to participate.
>
> It is proposed that the ad-hoc network icons distinguish themselves in 2
> ways.
>
> First, are they populated? This allows one to join a populated network
> versus an empty one, or one where you are the only member.
>
> Second, of multiple networks (Neighborhoods), which might I want to join?
>   Here, the color of the creator or successor is a hint, but a Neighborhood
> name would be best.  This relates to Simon's second question.  If they all
> have the same name, that is less useful than if the creator or a successor
> could supply a useful name.
>
>             --Fred

I compare the adhoc networks with a channel. So nobody owns (create it,
at least not visible to the user). Those channels are always present,
just a question if anyone is listening or not and if I tune in and
listen. We show a different icon when we are connected, on which channel
we are listening. The badge I talked about in the mail would indicate
someone is already listening on that channel. I don't think it is
absolutely necessary and might add more confusion.

The color, hmmm. As color is something important in the sugar user
interface we have to be careful with it's use. I would go with drawing
the icons in the color of the user. Definitely not use the color of the
creator and transfer it to all the listeners.

Regards,
    Simon