No subject

Mon Mar 15 02:42:15 EDT 2010

maintenance work.

I'm going to start one more thread about it and it will be my last try
to get the SLs community to care about maintenance.

>> I'm confused, how are these systems better than the patch review
>> report we used to have?
>>
>> For those who weren't with us back then:
>>
>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-July/006903.html
>
> That's nice, but I'd rather let everyone see the actual code right in
> the list without delays and reply with their comments inline. As a
> bonus, this lightweight process saves a lot of time to developers
> posting many small patches.
>
> OTOH, if a developer *likes* to go through Trac for posting a patch,
> they're still free to file tickets and then find a reviewer who would
> look at it. I've often done it myself for tickets that are already open,
> for informational purposes. But of course nobody reviewed my patches
> until I posted them to the list.

Giving more visibility to the review queue has nothing to do with
where patches are posted and where the review happens.

>> > (*) We defined "Sugar developer" as "anybody who has made at least one
>> > change that entered mainline".
>
> To move forward: do you agree with this definition or would you prefer a
> stricter criteria for people who can approve patches?

No, as I wrote before, people approving patches should be those who
are going to be taking responsibility on maintaining the new code and
also those who know what is a good patch in that module's context,
which means spending time triaging and bug fixing.

> It's up to you: I'm ok with any decision you make, as long as patches
> are going to land in git within 48h most of the time.

This is the main problem: we talk about work that needs to be done,
but don't want to think about how we are going to resource it. I don't
think that's healthy in an open community.

> Once we're used to the current levels of latency, one may think a 48h is
> way too impatient. However, consider that my very first kernel patch got
> merged in Linus' tree in just about *5* minutes from posting it to lkml.
> It was very welcoming, very rewarding for me. This may be part of the
> reason why they managed to attract over one thousand active
> contributors.

Are you kidding? We have about 3 people who have done reviews in the
recent past and those people accumulate lots of other Sugar and
non-Sugar responsibilities. Do you know how many full-time maintainers
has the linux kernel?

Regards,

Tomeu