[Sugar-devel] Customizing Frame look (was: Re: Children want Sugar 0.84, for the wrong reason)

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:12:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 01:35:55PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> E.g., why not allow to change the gray frame color?
>
> I like that idea - it even increases security as it makes it harder to
> imitate the Frame. Not that we are even near a level of security where we
> need to worry about that...

The reason grays were chosen is because the various icons throughout
the UI (activities, XOs, clippings, etc.) all have unique colors of
their own, and without drop shadows or other visual cues, these icons
can be lost against colored backgrounds. Any effort to add
customization in the form of coloring UI elements needs to be quite
carefully considered to prevent this problem.

In fact, the specific shades of grays were chosen to provide the best
visual contrast between the available color choices and all
backgrounds, so that in low contrast situations (and specifically the
XO laptop's reflective mode) all icons remain visible.

Eben