[Sugar-devel] ASLO - Activities with 0.82 compatibility

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:28:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> In exploring what updated activites we can ship in 8.2.2, I found lots
> of excellent activity updates (THANKS!). I also found that ASLO data
> is in a few cases over-optimistic in its compatibility claims...
>
> The testing I am doing saves me from looking /too/ foolish, but end
> users will be frustrated if ASLO suggests something that doesn't work
> on their Sugar.
>
> Not a big deal I hope, just a matter of marking the versions as not
> compatible with 0.82 :-)
>
>  - Log 18 -- fails to start, errors out on "import gio". (Which is a
> Python dep, but I cannot find it on the distros versions that are
> likely to be shipping 0.82). Last-known-good: v16
>
>  - Paint 27 -- shared paint sessions fail to start on the buddy.
> Last-known-good: v23
>
>  - Read 86 -- uses gconf, dies on 'import gconf'. Last-known-good: v56

My apologies wrt Read. The newer versions of Read won't work with 0.82
- and I think it would be best if v56 is used for 8.2.x releases. v56
was actually released specifically for 8.2.1 and bundles a thoroughly
updated evince/libpoppler/djvu stack (I backported the code from F-11
and included it in the activity bundle itself) and it fixes a number
of crashers in the underlying evince library for non PDF files (mostly
with djvu files).

The disadvantage is that EPUB files are not supported in Read v56, but
I you can use FBReader activity for that instead.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta