[Sugar-devel] logging activity

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Mar 17 11:28:35 EDT 2010

Hi Wendy,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your mail.

On 10 March 2010 05:02, Wendy van Thiel <wendyvanthiel at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a study, we would like to analyze what is actually done with the laptop
> (version os708). With the journal activity, it is possible to get the data
> store from the laptops to see which activities are done and when. The
> question remains how long these activities are done actively. There are
> several ways imaginable of trying to get this information from the XO.
> Currently, I just want to insert some code that if activity has taken place
> (e.g. key press, touch pad) it adds a line to a specific log file with the
> type of activity every one or two minutes. Before spending more time on
> exploration, I would like to discuss possibilities or hear your suggestions
> about the best approach to reach (and implement) this.

I think you're correct in observing that information about the
activeness of the activity use is not currently recorded.
As for the actual implementation, it depends on the things that you
are interested in tracking/recording. If it's just mouse/keyboard
activity then you could probably set up some gdk/gtk signal handlers
in the sugar.activity class which would produce appropriate log
messages from time to time.

But then you have the issue that sugar only keeps logs for the last 6
sessions or so (or were things different in os708 days?). Maybe you
could save the information elsewhere and implement your own system for
making sure the information doesn't get too big.

Good luck!
Daniel