[Sugar-devel] Hi; GSoC?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Mar 17 02:21:08 EDT 2010

Hi, I'm a student interested in the Sugar GSoC -- I've been reading this
list for a while so I thought I'd ask about how I might be useful. For
the summer, I'm near Boston (is anybody else? I'd love to chat with
enthusiasts in person). I'm a big fan of constructivist learning; it's
kind of how my parents "taught" me, and some parts of my college studies
are learning-related.  Last year I did GSoC for Haskell.org refactoring
part of their technical infrastructure.  Two years ago my college had an
OLPC Seminar class where we got to play with one of the XO-1's.  I'm
open to anything that gets me more involved in this ecosystem!

One thing I've noticed happening, that I know something about -- I'm
also on the Zero-Install mailing-list -- is an attempt to integrate
Zero-Install and Sugar activities somewhat.  This makes me really happy
because before, I didn't see a real market/goal for Zero-Install; and
conversely, easy, potentially decentralized Activity distribution does
need a technological backing a bit unlike the well-established
Linux-distribution-mechanisms (I've used Linux -- several different
distros -- for the past five years).  I wonder if this Zero/Sugar
project could use some GSOC support, or if there are more
useful/important things to work on?

-Isaac