[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Read ETexts-19

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 11:20:49 EDT 2010

Aleksey,

I tried to attach a screenshot of just what this menu looks like in
.82.  I can see it in gmail but maybe it was stripped from the email
going to the mailing list.  I'll describe how to find this menu in
.82.

First, you have to open the Journal entry so you see the screen that
has the metadata, screen shot, etc.  It is not available through the
normal hover menu in the Journal listing.  If you move your mouse
pointer over the "Copy" icon in this view a menu will drop down and
will show "Copy", "Copy To Journal", plus other options for copying to
the SD card, etc.  It's a pretty well hidden menu but you can find it.
 I probably found it because I had to go into the Journal entry screen
to find another useful menu, "Start With".  I have a lot of experience
with this menu because I constantly used it for opening Read Etexts.
If you just clicked on the Journal entry for a Zip file containing
text it could open in ETtoys or View Slides by mistake.

The "Copy" menu item and icon are the least useful methods of copying
something to and from the Journal but they are the only ones that are
really visible.  I like the change to the hover menu for the Journal
entry list that added "Start With" and its submenu listing all the
Activities you could use to Resume that Journal entry.  I'd suggest
something similar for "Copy", with "Copy to Clipboard" being the last
option in the list.

Another thing you could do is make drag and drop easier to discover by
making the Journal a bit more like Midnight Commander.  Normally, with
no USB or SD inserted, the Journal looks like it does now.  Insert
either and an icon appears at the bottom of the screen, just like it
does now.  Click on that icon and you get an mc-like look, with the
Journal entries in a left pane and the USB entries in a right pane.
The USB entries would show that they are organized into
subdirectories.  No attempt would be made to make them look like
Journal entries.  You could do copies by dragging from one pane to the
other, which would be more natural than dragging to an icon at the
bottom of the screen (but that would still work).

James Simmons