[Sugar-devel] Seeking enlightenment...

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Mar 10 12:05:19 EST 2010

Dear Tomeu,

Thanks for writing back so promptly.

I wrote to you initially because you were the person who touched the ticket,
but it seems that my remarks are probably better directed to Simon. Therefore:

-------------

Dear Simon,

> Right, we have a processes in place [1] [2] [3] and those help us to
> make our work possible.

I see that you have written and adapted many processes containing several
valuable ideas about how to make good releases.

> We can not discuss each ticket, enhancement, Feature again and again and
> create a new strategy each time.

Indeed not.

For what it's worth, one strategy that has served me well for quenching
discussions of this nature is to promptly merge the changes when a maintainer
ACKs them, as Tomeu did for the approach in #1447 all the back in October:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg09878.html

and as other developers have done periodically ever since.

> There are people following those processes, so it can't be a that hard thing
> to do.

It's good that you've written a process that some people are able and willing
to follow.

However, as Mel and Chris regularly remind us, the fact that a small number of
people are able and willing to participate in a process does not indicate that
the process is actually accessible, appropriate, or benign.

As a recent example, consider your discoveries about hover palettes. They
definitely work well for several people. Unfortunately.... :)

> If you have a look at our schedule [4], you will understand in which
> phase we are in.

The purpose of my email was to (forcefully) remind you of the opportunity to do
a good thing for everyone who tests activities and for Wade, Gary, Bernie, and
me.

As the release manager, you are authorized to make the call.

(However, in exchange, you are also accountable for the consequences of the
decision.)

> Back to work, as I have to release modules, write release notes, make
> sure the testers have an image to work on, etc. I might even look at the
> new patch that Aleksey has submitted to #1447 because he seems to care
> about it.

Thanks.

> Michael, If you have free cycles I am sure you will find a place to
> contribute to the 0.88 Release and help to make it a successful Sugar
> Release.

I try, in my own small way.

Michael