[Sugar-devel] Running SWF files standalone in Sugar? Simple Activity wrapper?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Mar 10 10:01:42 EST 2010

Hi Martin,

On 10 Mar 2010, at 14:38, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Is there a smart way to run a swf in Sugar, starting it up as an
> Activity? Hopefully something that works with Gnash and (if installed)
> Adobe's version?
>
> I had the impression the Nepal team had a way to do this... but I
> can't remember if (early on) they were bashing Flash or using Flash.
> Karma now is all HTML5 but I thought they had started using some Flash
> content.

See Tomeu's gnash Work:

	http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/progress-on-sugar-activities-with-swf.html
	http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/04/embed-flash-movies-with-gnash-in-your.html

The EatBoom activity is pretty easy to swap in your own swf content (just make sure it's not built requiring a very recent Flash, eg must work with Gnash). This is a trivial path to activities for any one who has developed in Flash, though it throws up issues of source visibility and localisation (there are some tricks to make this work reasonably well if any one is interested pushing on this path):

	http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/eatboom

Regards,
--Gary