[Sugar-devel] Seeking enlightenment...

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Mar 10 04:48:41 EST 2010

On 03/10/2010 08:12 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 06:31, Michael Stone<michael at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> Tomeu,
>>
>> In what way is Sugar or the Sugar community materially improved by deferring
>> Wade's patches in #1447 to sugar-0.90?
>
> It missed several freezes and nobody is following the processes for
> requesting exceptions. If it is so important, I hope someone will take
> the time to push it forward this time, taking the release process into
> account.
>
> Also, mind that features can be backported to the 0.88 branch after 0.88.0.
>
> About your specific question, I'm unfortunately unable to think about
> how every action I may take will impact Sugar or its community, and of
> course also unable to discuss with all the others how every action we
> may take could materially affect Sugar or its community. That's what
> we have processes for and I hope people will understand it.
>
> Our processes are flexible and have provisions for things that fall
> through the cracks, but it depends on people helping out and not
> expecting maintainers to do everything.

Right, we have a processes in place [1] [2] [3] and those help us to
make our work possible. We can not discuss each ticket, enhancement,
Feature again and again and create a new strategy each time. There are
people following those processes, so it can't be a that hard thing to do.

If you have a look at our schedule [4], you will understand in which
phase we are in.

Back to work, as I have to release modules, write release notes, make
sure the testers have an image to work on, etc. I might even look at the
new patch that Aleksey has submitted to #1447 because he seems to care
about it.

Michael, If you have free cycles I am sure you will find a place to
contribute to the 0.88 Release and help to make it a successful Sugar
Release.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy