[Sugar-devel] 3g dependencies

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Mar 8 12:54:59 EST 2010

[cc += harald]

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 16:36 +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Yup, this is for documentation purposes, oriented towards packagers,
> distributors and deployers. They will do whatever they want, but we
> wanted to document these dependencies.

Only OS-side dependencies that shouldn't concern Sugar directly.

In Fedora 11, in addition to what we have already, we need an updated
udev (version 145), which also depends on a newer usbutils (0.82). This
is necessary to witch hybrid modems into comm mode.

I back-ported both these packages from Fedora 12. I didn't notice any
regressions so far. I've discussed this briefly with Harald Hoyer, who
is both the Fedora packager and the upstream maintainer.

If it turns out to be too risky for a F-11 update, we'll have to carry
these two packages around in the custom repositories for F11-XO1 and
F11-XO1.5.

I've also backported all the 10 Sugar patches:

 http://git.paraguayeduca.org/gitweb/users/bernie/sugar-0.84-3g.git

Plus two trivial sugar-artwork patches:

 http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/patches/sugar/sugar-artwork/0001-Add-network-gsm-icon.patch
 http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/patches/sugar/sugar-artwork/0002-eliminate-dupe-battery-charging-100.patch

The backported patches have just been massaged enough to apply with no
rejects. I tried to be diligent and not loose any bits in the process.
Martin (tch) and I are have still not done any serious debugging yet.

Wireless networking still works with these patches applied, and the
modem control panel also works. 3G devices show up in the panel, but you
can't connect just yet.