[Sugar-devel] Test recap: "start new" vs. "resume"

Christian Marc Schmidt christianmarc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:53:26 EST 2010

Hi all

Yesterday, Simon and Gerald filled the group in on the results of the
tests conducted recently to understand the merits of a home view with
"start new" as the default behavior for activity icons in the ring.

The interesting conclusion in both cases was that children don't
necessarily have an idea of whether they want to resume a previous
activity or start a new one *before* clicking the activity icon.
Rather, they start by simply wanting to engage with a particular
activity, and the decision whether to resume or start new follows. In
other words, the two functions are equal, without one taking
precedence over the other. Children appear to want the choice. We have
seen this expressed in the desire to want to start new or resume
directly from inside the activity, though there will be other possible
solutions.

Also noteworthy is that children don't discover the hover palette at
first, so it is questionable whether we can rely on the menu it's
current implementation to accomplish our goals for start new/resume.

I suggested that we reconvene on Saturday at 10:30 EST / 3:30 UTC to
brainstorm design solutions.

Thanks,

Christian