[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Oversight Board request: Not fully bundled .xo

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 4 17:01:54 EST 2010

Aleksey Lim wrote:
> * the major issue here that ASLO is not particalr deployment oriented
>   portal, e.g. in OLPC case, mentioned issue is mostly means nothing
>   since OLPC can effectively add/remove any component they think is
>   useful for their users

I don't understand this claim.  ASLO is seeing literally millions of
downloads from OLPC deployments.  Probably 99% of ASLO traffic is from
OLPC's users.

As for the rest... I think .xo bundles should be absolutely free of binary
executables, or anything else that depends on more than the Sugar
Platform.  We should then introduce a different (better!) bundle format
that supports such dependencies, based on 0bundle, 0install, etc.  As a
temporary codename, call it ".x0".

--Ben