[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] multiple IM accounts

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Mar 3 13:07:37 EST 2010

Hi all,

as part of the effort to make Sugar a more "normal" Telepathy client,
Sugar should become able to deal with more than one IM account active
concurrently. Up to now, Sugar's Presence Service will enable the
Avahi-based one, then disable it if a connection to a Jabber server
was successful. This will make easier for Sugar users to be able to
interact with people using GNOME or other desktops.

This raises two problems:

- the same people could appear 2 times. We can fix it up to some point
by announcing our JID in Avahi, then merging contacts in the UI layer.

- we cannot invite a link-local contact to an activity being shared
through a jabber server, nor a jabber contact to an activity shared
through another server (without federation).

The first is not such a big deal, but the second will require careful
thought about how we expose this limitation to users. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tomeu