[Sugar-devel] Schoolserver icon

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Jun 29 19:38:26 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>> El Tue, 29-06-2010 a las 02:49 +0100, Gary Martin escribió:
>>
>>> Here's a few more misc. plays around school building shape.
>>> Maybe I'm being too literal here and should stray more down
>>> the server/resource aspect, rather than a school aspect?
>>> Shout if you think one works better than others (or some
>>> specific feature):
>>
>> For me, the one on the bottom left is the one which better communicates
>> the concept of school.
>
> Might be something we eventually have to localize. None of these look
> anything like the schools I have seen in Nigeria, Thailand, etc.

Most icons don't look anything like what they represent.

I like the dailymotion one; it's consistent with the sugar theme, and
I personally think the bell is an important visual element here.  It's
true, the schools I went to in central america usually had a big steel
pipe the teacher would bang on to summon us, instead of a nice
traditional bell shape, but I think the "summon kids to school"
element (in some form) is a nice hook for a school icon.

That said, a schoolserver isn't really a school (neither is a floppy
disk a decent representation for 'save'), so an abstract shape would
work just as well.  But if we're going to go for representing a
school, I vote for a bell.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )