[Sugar-devel] Dynamically set number of control panel columns

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Jun 24 19:56:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:27:46PM -0000, Anish Mangal wrote:
>From: anishmangal2002 <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com>
>
>This patch sets the number of icon-columns in the control
>panel based on the screen resolution. This patch also sets
>the table row spacing to GRID_CELL_SIZE.

Anish,

I like the basic idea underlying this patch but I'm not really satisfied
with the current results.

With 8 icons at 1024x768, I get two vertical columns of icons, each with
four rows. Three rows scan be displayed at a time.

With 8 icons at 800x600, I get one horizontal row of icons with four
icons initially displayed.

Neither of these layouts seems ideal.

Thoughts?

Michael

P.S. - This problem actually reminds me rather strongly of the "how do
we place activity icons?" problem that we had when activity icons were
stuck on the frame. Do we have enough control panel entries now that we
should think about re-using the home-view layout to place control panel
icons too?

P.P.S. - In any case, thanks for the patch!